Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Look at me, I'm blogging now...it's fun to have fun, but you have to know how!

Who would of known, me, a blogger. I didn't even know what a blog was a couple months ago...

It all began back in August, when I took the plunge by buying a franchise called Stroller Strides, a fitness program for moms with their babies. It's a complete Estrogen Powered company, and actually the 17Th fastest growing franchise in the nation!

My fellow franchisees are a tight knit bunch, supportive and nurturing as moms can be. Although we are thousands of miles apart, we are brought together almost daily by an online forum. It was on this forum, I rediscovered and fueled my love for writing.

At first I sat back and read, sometimes in disbelief. These woman were unbelievable, teaching classes, planning playgroups, community service projects, training groups of woman for races, arranging moms nights out with massages, manicures, etc.. And all this with babies in tow, some of them with baby number three in the oven! Surely, my situation paled in comparison, after all my babies are 10 and 13 years old. I would be teaching my class with a baby less stroller, my only focus being the moms and their children.

I felt like a voyeur, reading but not responding, I thought: "Are these woman for real?" "Do they have a life outside Stroller Strides?" Then my humor took over and I began to write imaginary posts in my head like this: "I was teaching my 6Th class of the day and had a big playgroup activity planned, a float for the Rose Parade, when my water broke. Seeing we were on the ground already for abs and cool down, I seized the moment to give birth and turn it into an educational experience for all. Not to worry, the float was beautiful and I was back teaching the next day!"

Like I said, my (warped) humor took over and there was no reasoning. I was also a little intimidated about making a post, after all, I had never been on a forum in my life. So, as I dusted off the creative side of my brain and starting thinking of ideas to contribute, my courage grew and I finally dove in. It was as if I pulled the pin in the grenade, threw it and waited for the blast. Responses were amazingly prompt and positive. As time went on, I freely contributed and unveiled, well, a "lighter" version to the posts. Chat site addiction quickly set in...
When attending the Stroller Strides Annual Conference in October, we all wore name tags that included where we were from. It was interesting to put the name with the face, comparing the imaginary with the real. I became the girl "with the great posts". I wonder if I looked the way I write?
While at the conference, and what seemed everything I read and every business seminar I attended, the word "Blog" kept coming up. After making one of my lengthy, story like posts on the forum, one of the many replies suggested a blog was in order.
So, here I am...aimlessly blogging away. I'm still learning, struggling with the techno details and lingo. Last week, I had to ask a teenager what LOL meant. But look at me now, I can ^5 and say HAND without my decoder ring!





2 comments:

Fit Mommy said...

You are too funny! I was LOL picturing a Stroller Strides instructor popping out her 3rd baby during abs as instructional for the kids! With this energy and spirit I would love to take one of your classes.
Melissa

Katie Blanton said...

Love It!