Saturday, November 29, 2008

How Noah's Ark came to play on Thanksgiving day...

Last night I glanced at myself in the mirror as I was sleepily undressed. I often take a visual assessment of my body when presented with the opportunity to do so; nude, alone with a mirror and forgiving light. I murmured to myself, "not bad for 48years old, good muscle tone, no stretch marks and boobs are still up where they should be." All this considering, two 50+ pound pregnancies and giving birth to part Sumo babies via C-sections. The only interventions I've had over the years, have been my passion for exercise, laughter and maybe some good genes.

"Note to self: Need to hit those pesky lats a bit harder, could always use more cardio, perhaps, a triathlon is in order."

This visual scrutiny set off a mental inventory of what I had consumed throughout the last 24 hours of this Thanksgiving holiday. I've never been a big eater and seldom overeat, I simply eat to survive and would be perfectly happy if they developed a full day's supply of meals in pill form. However, I do enjoy those nostalgic tastes of the holidays, which trigger certain memories from the past. There's eggnog, for instance, I love to knock a few back during the holidays. The best and only "homemade" eggnog I've ever had was made by some good friends, it was my first Married Christmas in 1992. That eggnog was so sinfully good, probably jacked my cholesterol count up 10 points just by touching my lips, but worth it!

Pumpkin pie is another trigger for me. I like it warm, with a mountain of whipping cream. Memories of pumpkin pie go back as far as I can remember.

Back to my food inventory...I consumed two small glasses of (alcohol free) pumpkin eggnog (which was to stave off the overwhelming craving for pumpkin pie that I experienced before dinner). After a normal sized dinner that I actually didn't finish, I had that piece of pumpkin pie with that mountain of whip cream. Ah, the day was complete.

"Am I the only one that loves leftovers?" Throwing together a rerun of last night's dinner in minutes, is almost like someone else prepared it for you (in my strange way of thinking). After the leftover lunch, my daughter helped herself to the banana cream pie she had helped her father prepare, this triggered my need for just one more piece of pumpkin pie.

Thinking through my itemized list of indulgences: 2 eggnogs, 2 pieces of pie with mountains of whipped cream and 2 glasses of wine. Interesting (but not "odd"), how everything came in twos? Now as I'm brushing my teeth, the Noah's Ark song pops in my head. You know the one, "the animals, they came on, they came on by twozie, twozies...elephants and kangaroozies..." My mind suddenly flashed back to summer camp where that song and others echoed loudly from the mess hall (and yes, I remember the lyrics to most). Ah, good times...

Now laying in bed with the Noah's Ark song playing through my head, I attempt sleep. When my eyes shut, a vision of two slices of smiling pumpkin pie boarding the ark, followed by two dancing wine glasses with sexy legs, eggnog pulling up the rear, all in sync with the music...ugh, enough! Time to turn off the music, and switch thoughts. "Let's see, exercise...I can counteract the music and dancing food, with thoughts of exercise." I normally avoid this practice, as it always brings up my heart rate and is not conducive to sleep. However, I needed something powerful to kill this ongoing Looney Tunes production. I began envisioning myself teaching my Stroller Strides class, I suddenly snickered, "OMG, it's another twozie...I teach classes every Tuesday (Twozday?) and Thursday at the Carbondale Recreation Center." The music started playing again, only this time, my imagination threw in a double vision of myself. There I was (x2, scary thought, I know), following the dancing food, pushing my BOB stroller up the ramp whilst performing walking lunges (in perfect form, may I add).

Wow! I began to question just what I did consume to trigger these thoughts. Perhaps, personal training and group exercise wasn't my calling after all, fitting in better with the gang over at Pixar, or Disney at the very least?

I eventually did get to sleep last night, and slept soundly after the Ark had finally set sail.

I awoke today, thankful for a healthy life, good memories, a vivid imagination, a career in fitness and the happiness it gives me to share all of these with you...

1 comment:

Streamlined said...

Thanks for writing...totally enjoyed it. Thank you also for the great Turkey Day games.